POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Fitting a texture to an object.. : Re: Fitting a texture to an object.. Server Time
3 Jul 2024 05:08:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fitting a texture to an object..
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 10 Aug 2008 09:06:38
Message: <489ee7de$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:

> 1. Will this work with other shapes, like cylinders, boxes, etc. I mean,
> and look right, since this is a projection of the "inside" of an object,
> not the outside?

I think you should be ok with all star-shaped objects (i.e. those
which have a direct line of sight from any surface point to the
origin). Of course, you can only apply the texture to the same
object type (with identical proportions and centering).

> 2. How would I use this to do something like like a plasma ball. The
> prior attempt at that borrowed code from someone else, using media.

That would probably require to implement a new camera type in
POV-Ray such as "spherical_inverted". It may not be so useful to
"sculpt" objects containing internal 3D structure, though, as all
the environment and light interactions such as reflections and
shadows would be frozen in place.